1) We focus more on ‘Blood Donation’ than safeguarding blood. Equal focus needs to be given on protecting donated blood also. According to reports ‘6 lakh litres of blood gets wasted in five years’.
2) We need to encourage investments of private sector in setting up blood banks. This may be covered in Corporate Social Responsibility also, if not done so.
3) We need to make people aware about wastage of blood in blood banks. This way more people and social organizations will come forward to address this issue.
4) We need more co-ordination between hospitals and blood banks.
5) There need to be a central database and system to create a robust supply chain of blood donation, blood storage and blood issue/release to needy ones. According to reports, India faces, on average, a shortfall of 3 million units of blood annually.
6) We should look at use of technology to safeguard blood in blood banks.
7) We need to encourage startups to work in the area of safeguarding blood in the blood banks.